Skip to content     Day 8 (Yea - Marysville, 68 km, a bit hilly)
GVBR Home |  Day 1 |  Day 2 |  Day 3 |  Day 4 |  Day 5 |  Day 6 |  Day 7 |  Day 8 |  Day 9 |  Epilogue

Day 8 (Yea - Marysville, 68 km, a bit hilly)

Ride Guide Map

Elevation map for day 8

We arose and packed very efficiently and breakfasted at camp and were ready to leave at 7:30. We backtracked to Cotton's Pinch again, and then turned off on the road to Marysville bypassing Alexandra. We rode along a very pretty piece of road with the four of us riding together for most of the way. There were quite a few hills, but they were short and sharp rather than grinding on for ever, and Krista rode all of them, with a few rests along the way. We had lunch by the river at Taggerty and Sophie was struggling a bit with asthma. She visited the paramedics for a bit of time on the ventolin pump, and they suggested she would be probably be able to continue if she really wanted to, but the sag wagon would be a good option. Sag wagon???? You've got to be kidding. The rest of the day was a real struggle for Sophie, but with incredible grit and courage, she made it all the way to Marysville somewhat the worse for wear but without assistance (other than the substantial encouragement and support of a concerned dad). After a bit of medical attention and a wander around town, Sophie hit the sack and had a long long sleep to recover from her ordeal.

Meanwhile, Krista and I hit Marysville with Tim and Nicola, and after consuming cakes and energy drinks at the bakery, we went on to explore the lollyshop, another cafe and the duck races. Much to Krista's disappointment, the ducks were not feathered and alive, but were small plastic guys, but they nevertheless caused much excitement in their race down the river. David joined us in a somewhat bemused state for the duck races, and then while Tim and Nicola returned to camp for showers etc, we went to the bakery for dinner, walked around town for a bit, and then came back to camp ourselves.

The campsite was in a particularly beautiful setting, and we sat at our tents watching the fireworks (and fantasising about koalas falling off their perches with the racket) listening to the amazing echoes from the surrounding hills which seemed to act as an amphitheatre. This was the last night of the ride, so despite being a tad weary, David and I went down to listen to the band and watch the bush dancers and soak up the atmosphere for just a bit longer. It had been a long and taxing day, and we went to bed relieved that it was the last day, although not wishing the adventure to end just yet.